Monday, August 20, 2012

Thought Process and Rationale




Working with young children can be exciting yet challenging!
The biggest challenge is how too accurate assess if the children in this age group are gaining in knowledge from what you are introducing them to. When creating a test for this age group which is 4-5 year olds it important that you create something that is not only age appropriate, but also developmentally appropriate as well.
The 3 choices that I used for developing test for my age group are.

1. Matching- I chose matching because it allowed for the opportunity to use pictures and words for the test. Young children often need visual cues.

2. Multiple Choice- I chose multiple choices for my second test. Again this is a simpler test for young children and I would be able to use words that they are familiar with in simple sentences. I am also able to use   one or two word answers for choices.

3. Essay question.-Finally the essay test would prove to be the most challenging of the three.
I put a little twist on it. I f I were asking an essay question for pre- kindergarteners, I would use it as a group question. I would document what each child's s statement. It is not the traditional way of using an essay test, but for this age group made the most sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment